Thursday, October 8, 2009

Some Perspective

This morning I was having myself a good ol' pity party.  A woe-is-me kinda party.  And not even for anything even remotely glamorous or pity-worthy.  But it was quite a doozie, none-the-less.  Stupid, stupid girl...

About 20 minutes ago Sue Madden came into our office.  I'm guessing that none of the 6 of you who are reading this have any idea who Sue Madden is, and I feel sorry for you because of that.  Sue is the director of one of the most amazing outreach ministries in this part of my state.  She loves the Lord with all her heart and she serves Him 150%.  Nearly a month ago her husband was in a car accident.  As a result of that accident the doctors discovered that he had not one, but EIGHT brain tumors.  The accident happened on a Tuesday and the doctors told the Madden's that if he lived through the weekend, because the cancer was so far progressed, that they would be shocked.

Sue told me that every morning they wake up thanking God for one more day.  Even though it's a day filled with doctor's appointments, radiation treatments, MORE medical bills, a dining room table full of medications, and decisions and talks that seem so foreign and wrong, it is a day - it's one more day. 

One more day.

One more day with the man that she's been married to for 36 years.

One more day.

One more day with the father of her children.  Her best friend.  Her provider, protector and leader.

One more day.

She told me that she knows God has a purpose for this and that her hope is that no matter what, that He would be glorified through each and every moment of each and every day that they have left together.

One more day.

I'm having a GREAT day.  It's a day that wasn't promised to me, but He gave it to me.  Now it's my turn to give it back to Him.  I need to choose to live this day for what it is - a gift from Him.  No woe-is-me, no pity party, just pure joy because He's given me -

One more day.

(UPDATE:  As of today, 10/23, Mr. Madden is still with us.  He's still going through  radiation, but  there's been no change in the size and amount of the tumors.  THANK YOU for your prayers!!)

4 comments:

  1. That is so, so sad. How is he doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, just wanted you to know I'm reading you. My thinking is this: if you are trusting God and asking for Him to be in charge of your life, then there are no "coincidences". So if we are seeking God, do they feel that this "accident" that uncovered his brain tumors was a way to give them advance warning? I'm praying God will lead them and heal him in this illness. Just thinking out loud here.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm visiting from Funky Junk Interiors. How is your friends husband? I can't imagine finding out you may live through the weekend. They seem to have such a great attitude about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers are powerful.
    Sending some for your friend and hope things work out for the best.

    ReplyDelete