Monday, February 2, 2009

Steelers vs. Evangelism

I’ve been a Steeler fan since the day I was born. And no, not just because I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. And I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times my entire family sat down and watched a game on TV together. My family was more of a “Breakfast At Wimbledon” family. When the Steelers were on TV, I was generally in another room watching the game by myself. And though I’ve lived in several states with fairly decent NFL teams, I still bleed black and gold. Always will. Deal with it.

Anyhow, as an adult I’ve realized that I can’t watch a Steeler game with anyone else. It annoys me if there are others around while I’m watching. And unless there’s blood spurting from your head, don’t call me (unless it’s commercial time). I’m vocal. I’m loud. And like any true Steeler fan, I have my very own set of superstitions that I rarely veer from.

Can you imagine how different my life would be if I felt the same way about telling folks about Jesus? (Well maybe minus the vocal, loud and superstition part.) Actually I guess the correct question would be can you imagine how different others lives could be if I felt the same way about telling them about Jesus.

Why is it I can talk to a total stranger about James Harrison’s miraculous interception and 100 yard return for the touchdown? Or Santonio Holmes AMAZING catch that put us in the lead with just 35 seconds left to the game? But tell me to talk to that same stranger about Jesus?!

Oh yeah, and Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow today. No problem with that one either.

I don’t have an answer to why I can’t talk about something that’s of far greater importance than the Steelers or a groundhog. I’ll blame it on the fear of rejection.

Lame.

Oh and incase I haven’t mentioned it yet… 21 DAYS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment