Friday, June 5, 2009

Please Don't Hate Me

I didn’t vote for Barack Obama. I voted for the OTHER person that was running. My reasons are certainly not important to this particular post. But we lost. And I accept that. Most importantly I accept that the person who DID win is the person that God wanted in control of this beautiful country I live in.

Did ya catch that?

The part about GOD being in control??

I have complete confidence that on November 4, 2008, God didn’t take a nap. He wasn’t preoccupied with what’s going on in the Sudan. He wasn’t playing Solitaire on His MacBook Pro (remember, God would be a Mac). Well actually I guess He could have been doing all of that because HE IS GOD and He can pretty much do EVERYTHING at once and give EVERYTHING His complete and undivided attention. All at the same time.

He is God.

What I mean is that, GOD KNOWS WHO THE PRESIDENT OF THE US IS! He didn’t let Satan have this one. He didn’t smack his head Wednesday morning and go, “STINK! How did THAT happen??” Only He knows President Obama’s heart. Only He knows President Obama’s sincerity.

He is God.

And, the most important thing of all is what He wrote:

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing."
Romans 13:1-6

Barack Obama is human, and therefore, by his very nature, a sinner. So am I! And, guess what? His sins are NO WORSE than mine! And yes, he is an elected public official who should be and needs to be held to a higher standard than a peon like me. BUT he is not in office accidentally. I think some of us may have lost sight of this fact.

God knows who the President of the United States is.

Recently I’ve been assaulted by an amazing number of people via email, FaceBook updates, Tweets, etc., who all feel the need to bash, smash and generally make it known that they feel that our current president is terrible. And while I love and appreciate all of my friends out there who are enjoying this time, let me remind you, that you too are sinners. I’m sorry we lost. I’m sorry the other guy won. But, for me, I need to trust that ultimately God is in control. And if Barack Obama being elected president signifies the end of the world then YEAH! I’m going home!

But, maybe, just MAYBE, God has different plans that we know nothing about. Maybe, just MAYBE we need to listen to His Word and submit ourselves to the governing authorities. Maybe, just MAYBE we need to live to a higher standard ourselves and not stoop to a level so low that we embarrass ourselves. And maybe, just MAYBE, we need to take the time we’re using to bash and smash and pray, on our knees, for President Obama, our country and ourselves.

It’s just a thought.

Don’t hate me.

Oh yeah, and I am FULLY aware of our freedom speech and couldn’t have MORE respect for the men and women who sacrificed their lives so that we could have this freedom. That’s why I’m writing this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment