Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dial 1-800-SAY-WHAT?


Last night I needed to call Air Tran to cancel my flight to Pittsburgh for this weekend.  So, being the technologically advanced girl that I am (NOT), I looked up the phone number on my computer (800-Air-Tran), grabbed my fancy, smancy, phone, and stopped...

I have a Qwerty keyboard phone.

I have no little letters over corresponding numbers.

WHICH NUMBER IS THE R??

Now I realize this sounds silly and stupid, but I seriously could not dial that number!  I have no landline in my house (and therefore no other phone) and unless I planned on writing out all the numbers with their 3 little letters, remembering that the 1 doesn't have any and Q & Z don't get a numbers (which just isn't fair if you ask me!) I was just flat out stuck.

And can you imagine me calling someone?  "Hey, Amanda, can you tell me what the number is for 800-Air-Tran?"  Yeah, THAT sounds stupid!

My inability to make one stupid phone call because of the lack of a "T" over my "8" just added to my feelings of inadequacy, stupidity, and loserness last night.  So I did what any girl would do when faced with not knowing what number the "I" is (4) - I cried, big boo hoo, whoa is me tears.  (Because searching the internet for a solution or iTunes for an app just didn't occur to me until this morning.)

Isn't it funny the things Satan uses to beat us down?  He got me good yesterday, and admittedly, a bit this morning too.  As I struggle to work through the stuff I need to work through, I was comforted by something I read today:

"My existence was not random, nor was it an accident.  God knew who He was creating, and He designed me for a specific work."
Crazy Love, pg. 59

Then, as if that wasn't enough, I read the journal of a friend from college who is going through chemotherapy.  Here is a sweet soul who is going through something that, praise God, I have not had to deal with.  Yet this is what she wrote put me smack dab in my place, and gently reminded me to not look at the circumstance, but to look at Christ.

Duh.

Then she wrote, "He counts the number of stars; He gives names to them all (Psalm 147:4).  If the God of our universe (and it's bigger than we can imagine) knows the name of every single star we see in the sky (and those we can't see) calls me His child and knows the very number of hairs on my head (Matt 10:30) - how can I not trust Him with my life and my future?!"

Double duh.

Thank you, Jeanette.

Go away Satan.

No comments:

Post a Comment