Thursday, August 20, 2009

Life, Love & the Pursuit of a Perfect Cup of Coffee

The core problem isn’t the fact that we’re lukewarm, halfhearted, or stagnant Christians. The crux of it all is why we are this way, and it is because we have an inaccurate view of God. We see Him as a benevolent Being who is satisfied when people manage to fit Him into their lives in some small way. We forget that God never had an identity crisis. He knows that He’s great and deserves to be the center of our lives. Jesus came humbly as a servant, but He never begs us to give Him some small part of ourselves. He commands everything from His followers.

Crazy Love, Frances Chan, pg. 20

Now is probably a good a time as any to let y’all know, that most likely, unless a burning bush appears in my front yard and tells me to do otherwise, I’m not going to be revealing my major, huge, life-altering decision within the next few weeks. There seriously are some folks I need to talk to first who I’m thinking maybe should hear it from me rather than reading or hearing from someone else who has read it. And, ultimately, what I’m thinking and feeling may NOT be from God (hence the whole 30-day cooling off period).

Really – it’s not nearly as big a deal as I’m making it sound. It’s really rather minor in the whole grand scheme of life, love and the pursuit of a perfect cup of coffee (which I’ve found, by the way). So I apologize for the delay in revelation, but it’s for the best. And I promise, by the time I tell you, you’re going be like, “Eh, really? That’s it? So who’s going to win the Super Bowl this year?”

It’s hard giving up dreams that may ultimately not be God’s will or God’s best for me. But that’s a part of allowing Him to be the center of my life. I think for too long I’ve been walking around saying, “Ok God, this is what I want next” or “This is where I want to go next” or “Gosh I would be swell if You’d give me this next.” So for the next while I’m trying not to talk TO God but instead let God talk to me. Is what I’m thinking feeling HIS will and HIS best or is it me forcing that?

I dunno.

And, I realize, that some of those dreams and hopes and desires may ultimately be His will for me. And that’s GREAT. I just also need to stop trying to put MY time table into God’s hand and let Him do what He’s going to do, when He’s going to do it. I read a quote by one of my favorite bloggers, John Acuff, that said,

God loves to ‘pace our dreams,’ but we think He’s ‘delaying our dreams’ and in doing so we misinterpret what is a gift, as a punishment.

What am I rambling about? Not much, I suppose. Just that I know God’s doing something. And that’s all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment