Thursday, January 22, 2009

32 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m a terrible blogger. Of the few blogs that I read, I’ve realized that the best ones are updated almost daily. I had a good start, but it didn’t take long (5 days to be exact), before I fizzled. Sigh…

But to my defense it’s been a rough 5 days. And while I’m still BEYOND excited about what God’s going to be doing on this trip and just how He’s going to use me, it’s being tempered with what’s going on in my family.

Many of you, hopefully most of you, know that I have an older brother, David. On December 23 David was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. He spent the next couple of weeks seeing doctors and the doctors spent that time adjusting meds. About a week ago it became apparent that the meds were messing him up and he was admitted to the hospital (he had gained 8 pounds in 4 days). After several days in the hospital he gained 4 more pounds and they couldn’t figure out what was going on and why so this past Monday they transferred him to another hospital, one that specializes in cardiac stuff. This was when they started using the words, “heart transplant.”

On Tuesday he was taken down for a cardiac catheterization. During this procedure they realized that many of his levels weren’t just low, they were dangerously low. So they immediately transferred him to the CCU. During a rather frantic call to the CCU they assured me that he was stable, but that he needed to be monitored.

I’ve gotten to know both his morning and night nurses very well (he doesn’t have a phone). He’s in no pain. He feels good, but they have no idea what’s going on. They have decided that he does need a heart and kidney transplant. He’s meeting with the transplant team today and they’ll start the whole process of getting him registered. At some point next week I will get tested to see if I’m a match. We have different dads, but there is still a chance that we are. What do I need with 2 kidneys anyhow?

Nearly every time I call I ask do I need to come up and each time they tell me, “Not yet.” So for now I’m staying put and praying like mad. I’d love it if you’d pray too.



No comments:

Post a Comment